Supervision of Children and Youth
Multiple Person Rules
ARC will minimize situations where there is only one adult present with a child or youth whenever possible. This includes travel in motor vehicles.
- At least two non-related, non-cohabiting adult teachers/leaders/chaperones will be with and supervise each group of children/youth at all child/youth events and activities. If a second adult is not available, there will be a safety monitor (in addition to one adult teacher/leader/chaperone) who walks through the building and looks into each room at least twice in a one-hour period. The safety monitor will not be related to or cohabiting with the supervising teacher/leader/chaperone.
- No adult will be alone or out of sight of the group with a single child/youth unless that adult is the child's parent, guardian, relative, or other adult designated by a parent or guardian.
- There will be two non-related, non-cohabiting adults in supervision of individual children/youth or there will be one adult in supervision of two or more children/youth at organized, supervised events and activities, and during travel in motor vehicles.
- If the above multiple person rules for supervision cannot be carried out, the church event/activity will be canceled.
Any one-to-one mentoring, consulting, or counseling between one child or youth and an adult shall be conducted in sight of another adult or group of children/youth. The counseling may be done at a distance from the group, but always within sight of other children/youth and/or an adult.
End of events
- At the end of child or youth meetings/events, two non-related, non-cohabiting adults should stay until the last child/youth is picked up. If only one adult can stay, contact with the parents/guardians is essential and will limit risk for the adult and child/youth.
- One child or youth will not be left in the building by himself/herself, even if parental permission is given.
- No child/youth is allowed to walk home in the dark or if conditions are otherwise unsafe.
All co-ed overnight events for children/youth shall be chaperoned by at least one male adult and at least one female adult who are not related and or cohabiting.
- All overnight events for female children/youth shall be chaperoned by at least two unrelated, non-cohabiting adults.
- All overnight events for male children/youth shall be chaperoned by at least two unrelated, non-cohabiting adults.
- Youth/children and adults may not share a bed. Youth or children may not share a bed with other youth or children.
Supervision for Nursery/Child Care
At least two non-related, non-cohabiting adults will be in the nursery. When a second adult is not available, there will be a safety monitor (in addition to the adult in the nursery) who looks into the nursery at least three times during a one-hour period. The safety monitor will not be related to or cohabiting with the supervising adult.
In the nursery, when there is need to change a diaper or assist with toilet training, there will be two non-related, non-cohabiting adults present during the changing or bathroom assistance. The safety monitor may serve as the second adult during diaper changing or bathroom assistance. Alternatively, the child's parent/guardian may change a diaper or assist with toilet assistance.
When children and youth are at the church, but not attending an organized, supervised event or activity, parents, guardians, relatives, or other adults designated by parents or guardians are responsible for supervision.
Click here for the complete ARC Safe Sanctuary Policy (pdf).
Safe Sanctuary Requirements for Volunteers and Staff